Getting a Library Card
- West Des Moines residents who fill out a Library Card Application – you may do this online via our Library Card Pre-Registration Form – and present a valid ID with proof of Identification and Current Residence (see below) may have a library card free of charge.
- Any resident of West Des Moines, Windsor Heights, Rural Polk County, or any community participating in Iowa’s Open Access program may obtain a library card free of charge with satisfactory proof of Identification and Current Residence (see below).
- A valid card is required for borrowing privileges.
- Cards are issued for three (3) years; there is no fee for renewal. A $1.00 replacement fee will be charged for a lost or mutilated card.
- There are no age restrictions for library card applicants.
- By state law, all patron borrowing records are confidential, including records of minor children. Information cannot be released without due process of law.
- Lost or stolen cards should be reported to the library immediately.
- First-time borrowers are limited to five (5) items for their first checkout.
You are required to furnish one form of identification and proof of residential address.
Documents accepted by the West Des Moines Public Library to verify Identification:
|Government issued ID||Military ID|
|School ID card||Work ID/nametag|
|School bus pass||Birth Certificate|
|Voter registration card||Social Security card|
Documents accepted by the West Des Moines Public Library to verify a Current Correct Residential Address:
|Driver’s license||Voter registration card|
|Government issued ID||Imprinted checks|
|Motor vehicle registration|
Mail with your name and address postmarked during the current month or previous month.
Statements dated during the current month or previous month from the following list:
|Bank statement||Telephone bill|
|Lease agreement||Water bill|
Persons residing in West Des Moines on a temporary basis may obtain a “Guest” card free of charge with satisfactory proof of ID and current residence. The library card will be issued for the period of time the patron resides in West Des Moines, (not less than one month nor more than six months). The patron will be restricted to a limit of 5 (five) items at any one time.
An acceptable document to verify the patron’s temporary address must be a written statement on the letterhead from the managing office of the patron’s temporary residence. The statement should include the patron’s name and residency dates. In addition, patrons need to provide identification and proof of permanent address.