The West Des Moines Public Library now has an IowaDOT License and Identification renewal kiosk on-site. The machine is located in the first floor of the Library near the audiovisual materials. The kiosk is able to take identification photos–and allows the user to decide if the photo that’s been taken is acceptable (thank goodness!).
Neither new licenses nor new identification cards will be issued from the machine, but renewal of existing state identification will be possible at 4000 Mills Civic Parkway during library hours. The kiosks are much faster than in-person visits, but there are some restrictions:
To use a DOT kiosk you must:
- Have a valid Iowa license or ID (not a commercial driver’s license).
- Be at least 18 years old, but younger than 70.
- Be an Iowa resident and a United States citizen (as shown by the Iowa DOT’s existing records).
- Not need to make changes to your name, date of birth, sex, class type, endorsements, or restrictions.
- Address change only is okay in most instances.
- Not have a current license marked “Valid Without Photo”.
To renew your license or ID card at a kiosk you must:
- Have a driver’s license or identification card that expires within 180 days or has not been expired for more than one year and 60 days.
- Have renewed your current driver’s license or ID card at a driver’s license issuance site. Driver’s licenses and ID cards may only be renewed online or at a kiosk every other issuance.
Additional requirements for driver’s license renewals:
- Do not have pending requests for re-examination on file.
- Do not have restrictions G, J, T, Q, or R listed on the back of your current license.
- Are not required to submit a medical or vision report at the time of renewal.
Once again, just as at the DOT office, the kiosk will issue a temporary document and the actual new license or identification card will be mailed to the user. The kiosk will accept credit or debit card payments, but not cash.
Technical support for the kiosk is provided by the IowaDOT. Questions on its general use can be directed to Library staff.
As of June, 2015, the following OTHER locations also contained DOT kiosks. You may want to call ahead to verify:
- Des Moines Central Library, 1000 Grand Ave, DSM
- Southridge Hy-Vee, 1107 SE Army Post Rd
- East Euclid Hy-Vee, 2540 E. Euclid Ave
- Altoona Public Library, 700 Eighth St. SW, Altoona
- Waukee Hy-Vee, 1005 E. Hickman Rd, Waukee
Questions? Contact the Iowa DOT’s Driver & Identification Services by emailing email@example.com or calling 515-244-8725.