Are You Prepared for the Upcoming Election?
Our library staff is happy to assist you with any questions you might have regarding the upcoming City/School Board election on November 7, 2023. The library will be an Early Voting site for POLK COUNTY voters only on Tuesday, October 24 from 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Paper ballots are available at this site only for those who live in West Des Moines precincts, but computerized voting machines are available for all Polk County voters.
If our library is a bit too out of the way to be convenient, here is a list of other places you can vote early. We will not be a voting location on Tuesday, November 7.
Need to register?
We have paper applications that can be mailed to your county auditor in time for November 7th. You can also register at your county auditor's office. Find your county auditor's office here.
Not sure if you are registered?
The Adult Services Desk staff can help you verify your registration online.
Has your polling location changed?
We can also help you find your polling site. Your site may have changed for this midterm election, so check before you go to vote!
Planning to vote via Absentee Ballot?
Applications for absentee ballots can be obtained online in a PDF format, or mailed upon request from the Secretary of State. You can also request a ballot by mailing the application to the county auditor/commissioner of elections in the county where you are registered.
Want to learn more about the new voting laws in Iowa?
We can go over the changes with you. For more details, visit Vote411.org/Iowa.
Here are the highlights:
- The early voting period has been reduced from 29 days before Election Day to 20 Days before Election Day.
- All ballots must arrive at the county auditor's office by the time polls close on Election Day in order to be counted.
- You must request an Absentee Ballot Request Form. In previous years, this had been sent via mail to eligible voters.
- Only the voter, an immediate family member, household member or caregiver may return the ballot to the auditor's office or place it in the mail.
Important Dates for the General Election:
- Wednesday, October 18 – First Day of Absentee Voting
- Monday, October 23 – Pre-registration Deadline; Deadline to Request Absentee Ballot to be Mailed
- Saturday, November 4 – Auditors’ Offices Open for Absentee Voting
- Monday, November 6 – Absentee Ballot In-Person Deadline
- Tuesday, November 7 – General Election Day; Absentee Ballots Receipt Deadline
Who is running?
We will update this section with sample ballots once they have been announced for the following counties:
Full information on voting in the state of Iowa can be found at VoterReadyIowa.gov.
Polls are open on Election Day, Nov 7th, from 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. CST. Absentee ballots must be received in your county auditor’s office prior to 8:00 PM CST on Election Day.