Tax Forms & Information

Tax forms header image

Where can you get TAX forms and information?

Quick Shortcut Links:


Federal Building at 210 Walnut in Des Moines (first floor – may have forms)

Order Forms: 1-800-829-3676 (1-800-TAX-FORM)
Information: 1-800-829-1040 (1-800-TAX-1040)



Hoover Building, 1305 E. Walnut in Des Moines, Fourth Floor
(may have state long forms)
also the Records and Property Center at E 7th & Court Ave, 281-5370

Order Forms: 1-800-532-1531
Information: 281-3114 or 1-800-367-3388


Tax Help

AARP provides some Tax Help sites starting in late January/early February.  The link now has 2020 dates and locations.  

United Way’s VITA program also provides tax assistance.  Per their site:  “Individuals and families with a combined income of $58,000 or less within one year qualify to receive free tax preparation”.  The link now has 2020 dates and locations.  

Addresses for Completed Forms

Completed State of Iowa Individual forms should be sent to:

Iowa Income Tax – Document Processing
P.O. Box 9187
Des Moines IA 50306-9187

If sending money for taxes owed, include an IA 1040V Payment Voucher and mail to the same address.

Link to State Tax Address Page

Completed Federal forms are sent to:

Form You Are Filing You are NOT enclosing money:         You ARE enclosing money
(check or money order):       


(this is now the only 1040 form, as of 2019)       

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MO 64999-0002                                
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 931000
Louisville, KY 40293-1000                 

Be sure you use the full nine digit ZIP code, to ensure delivery of your tax return and/or payment.

What TAX materials does the Library carry?

Please call ahead to the Reference Desk (515-222-3403) to make sure we have what you need. You can always use our Internet stations to print from the IRS and State of Iowa tax sites (printing/copying = 20 cents/page).

Federal Tax Materials

The WDM Library does NOT carry loose forms or booklets.  The Library makes some masters of major forms, instructions and tables, which can be photocopied at 20 cents/page.

However, there are many other options:

  • Most Federal tax forms may be printed from the IRS Web site (requires free Adobe Reader – available on all Library stations). Forms for the new tax year tend to appear after the new year (for filing the following April).  A small number of forms, especially 1099 varieties, cannot be printed from online, but must be ordered.
  • The Library does not have booklets or individual forms to pick up; they must be copied (see above) or printed from the IRS Web site.
  • More obscure forms may not be included in our masters, but they can ALL be found on the IRS Web site.
  • The IRS Web site also has previous years’ tax forms to download and print.
  • Printing and copying both cost 20 cents per page at the Library.
  • Federal income tax forms may also be requested by phone (to be mailed to you) by calling 1-800-829-3676 (1-800-TAX-FORM).

Iowa State Tax Materials

Note: The State no longer provides a master form book to Libraries for copying.  We will make a few masters of major forms for you to photocopy (20 cents/page) once the forms are published (usually by mid-February) – anything else can be found on the State of Iowa tax site.

The State of Iowa is no longer sending individual tax booklets automatically to your home.  In addition, the Short Form for Iowa has been discontinued altogether.

  • Iowa tax forms and instructions are available for printing and there are some fillable online forms you can submit – at the State of Iowa tax site.
  • You may request State tax forms be mailed to you by calling 1-800-532-1531.
  • General State tax information is available locally by calling 515-281-3114.