Federal Building at 210 Walnut in Des Moines (first floor – may have forms)
Order Forms: 1-800-829-3676 (1-800-TAX-FORM)
Information: 1-800-829-1040 (1-800-TAX-1040)
Web Site: www.irs.gov
Federal Filing Deadline is now May 17th
The IRS Federal filing deadline for 2020 taxes has been extended to May 17, 2021. More info.
Hoover Building, 1305 E. Walnut in Des Moines, Fourth Floor
(may have state long forms)
also the Records and Property Center at E 7th & Court Ave, 281-5370
Order Forms: 1-800-532-1531
Information: 281-3114 or 1-800-367-3388
Web Site: tax.iowa.gov
State Filing Deadline is now June 1st
The State of Iowa filing deadline for 2020 taxes has been extended to June 1, 2021. More info.
Note for 2021 Tax Season: Both AARP and VITA have very few volunteers, so may have limited or no tax help options. Be sure to check their websites.
AARP TaxAide provides some volunteer tax help sites starting in late January/early February.
As of February 15, 2021, NO local help sites were listed.
They do offer some limited Online help here: https://taxaide.aarpfoundation.org/
United Way’s VITA program also provides tax assistance - income limitations apply.
As of February 15, 2021, the only local help site was at United Way of Central Iowa in DSM.
There are limitations on the service – please check the website before contacting them.
Addresses for Completed Forms
Completed State of Iowa Individual forms should be sent to:
Iowa Income Tax – Document Processing
P.O. Box 9187
Des Moines IA 50306-9187
If sending money for taxes owed, include an IA 1040V Payment Voucher and mail to the same address.
Completed Federal forms are sent to:
|Form You Are Filing||You are NOT enclosing money:||You ARE enclosing money
(check or money order):
(this is now the only 1040 form, as of 2019)
|Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MO 64999-0002
|Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 931000
Louisville, KY 40293-1000
Be sure you use the full nine digit ZIP code, to ensure delivery of your tax return and/or payment.
What TAX materials does the Library carry?
Please call ahead to the Reference Desk (515-222-3403) to make sure we have what you need. You can always use our Internet stations to print from the IRS and State of Iowa tax sites (printing/copying = 20 cents/page).
Federal Tax Materials
The WDM Library does NOT carry loose forms or booklets. The Library makes some masters of major forms, instructions and tables, which can be photocopied at 20 cents/page.
However, there are many other options:
- Most Federal tax forms may be printed from the IRS Web site (requires free Adobe Reader – available on all Library stations). Forms for the new tax year tend to appear after the new year (for filing the following April). A small number of forms, especially 1099 varieties, cannot be printed from online, but must be ordered.
- The Library does not have booklets or individual forms to pick up; they must be copied (see above) or printed from the IRS Web site.
- More obscure forms may not be included in our masters, but they can ALL be found on the IRS Web site.
- The IRS Web site also has previous years’ tax forms to download and print.
- Printing and copying both cost 20 cents per page at the Library.
- Federal income tax forms may also be requested by phone (to be mailed to you) by calling 1-800-829-3676 (1-800-TAX-FORM).
Iowa State Tax Materials
Note: The State no longer provides a master form book to Libraries for copying. We will make a few masters of major forms for you to photocopy (20 cents/page) once the forms are published (usually by mid-February) – anything else can be found on the State of Iowa tax site.
The State of Iowa is no longer sending individual tax booklets automatically to your home. In addition, the Short Form for Iowa has been discontinued altogether.
- Iowa tax forms and instructions are available for printing and there are some fillable online forms you can submit – at the State of Iowa tax site.
- You may request State tax forms be mailed to you by calling 1-800-532-1531.
- General State tax information is available locally by calling 515-281-3114.
Where Is My Refund?
If you are expecting a Federal or State Refund, you can track the progress of your return online:
You will need the following information:
- Social security number or ITIN
- Your filing status (single, married, etc.)
- Your exact refund amount in whole dollars
You will need the following information:
- Social Security Number
- Tax Year
- Refund amount