West Des Moines Public Library is proud to partner with Des Moines Public Library and Polk County Early Childhood Iowa to bring the Simple Steps early literacy program to West Des Moines. Patrons of the WDM Public Library will notice the incorporation of Simple Steps in our storytime events and see Simple Steps Early Literacy Stations popping up around the West Des Moines community.
What is Simple Steps to Success? It is a program designed to utilize things and activities you already have at home or while you’re on the go to help your child prepare for school!
- READ: Creating a love of reading will help your child learn for the rest of their lives.
- WRITE: Scribbling, drawing and using those finger muscles will help prepare your child to write.
- TALK: Asking questions and talking with your child will help them learn new words.
- SING: Singing helps your child hear the sounds of words and helps build vocabulary.
- PLAY: Playtime allows your child to develop their creativity, vocabulary and social skills.
Simple Steps Activity sheets are available in English, Español, Arabic, Burmese, Karen, Swahili, Vietnamese, Somali, Dari, and Pashto for you to download and complete at home. Additionally, the library will be adding specialized Simple Steps Literacy Kits to our existing STEM Kit collection.
Simple Steps to Success launched in 2017 by the Des Moines Public Library and was made possible through a grant provided by Polk County Early Childhood Iowa.
Listen to the podcast episode recorded with Ashley Molzen, Community Engagement Supervisor at Des Moines Public Library, and Jenna Ehler, Head of Youth Services at West Des Moines Public Library below.