Inspiration. As our neighborhoods grow more diverse, our community is enriched by new voices, different experiences, and unique perspectives.
Recognizing this, WDMCS Community Education partnered with West Des Moines Public Library to create the Meet Your Neighbors Story Boxes. Each Story Box focuses on a different cultural group found in our WDMCS neighborhoods. We believe that shared stories, food, crafts, music, and activities can foster understanding across differences and help us be good neighbors to all who make the West Des Moines area their home.
What You’ll Find Inside
Inside each Story Box, you’ll find both fiction and nonfiction books, music, and a reading and listening guide you can use at home or in your classroom. You can also explore expansion activities and resources online.
While not every country, culture, or experience is represented in this Story Box, we hope the included books will serve as an entry point for learning. If you have suggestions about how we might better represent the experiences of our neighbors in different regions around the world, please visit the website listed above and fill out our feedback form.
We hope these Story Boxes will be useful tools to engage young children with materials that reflect their experience, as well as invite the whole community to learn from our neighbors both near and far.
Story Boxes are available for checkout at the West Des Moines Public Library.
Created in partnership by WDMCS Community Education and the West Des Moines Public Library.
MEET YOUR NEIGHBORS STORYBOX: ASIA: EAST includes the following:
- A new year's reunion by Li-Qiong Yu
- A piece of home by Jeri Watts
- Apple pie Fourth of July by Janet S. Wong
- Families around the world by Margriet Ruurs
- I live in Tokyo by Mari Takabayashi
- Living in China by Chole Perkins
- Living in South Korea by Chole Perkins
- Mustafa by Marie-Louise Gay
- My name is Yoon by Helen Recorvits
- Natsumi! by Susan Lendroth
- Paper son: the inspiring story of Tyrus Wong, immigrant and artist by Julie Leung
- Sakura's cherry blossoms by Robert Paul Weston
- Typhoon holidays: Taiwan by Yi Ling Hsu
- A ticket around the world by Natlia Diaz and Melissa Owens
- Putumayo Presents Asian Playground (music CD)
- Materials Packet
- South Korea