CHAPTER 6: LIBRARY CONDUCT POLICY
Updated by Library Board vote 4/19/2016
Library patrons are expected to be engaged in the productive use of the library’s resources. This includes reading, studying, researching, attending programs and utilizing library material. Patrons have the right to use the library undisturbed and library employees have the right to work without undue interference. All library users and employees should be free of any threat of harm, invasion of property, or gross indignity. In an effort to protect these rights for all persons, the Library Board, pursuant to authority granted in Chapter 6 of Title 2 of the City Code for the City of West Des Moines, has approved the following rules, which have been adopted as regulations of the City of West Des Moines, section 7-12-2.
No person shall engage in any conduct which disturbs or interferes with the legitimate use of the library, including - but not restricted to - the following:
- Interfere with the library’s right to maintain a clean, pleasant and safe facility.
- Refuse to follow reasonable directives or instructions from a library staff member.
- Willfully annoy, harass or threaten another person.
- Behave in a disorderly, loud, or boisterous manner, including loud conversations.
- Engage in lengthy conversations (including conversations on cell phones) in areas intended for quiet study.
- Use any audio, personal communication or computing device in a manner that is disturbing to other patrons. Cell phone ringers should be set to silent or vibrate and device speakers muted or headphones used.
- Interfere with another person’s passage within the library or on library grounds.
- Solicit funds, “panhandle,” or engage in commercial activity unless authorized by library administration.
- Consume or possess alcoholic beverages, or use or possess controlled substances on library grounds or be under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances in a manner that causes public disturbance.
- Deface or destroy library property.
- Relocate or rearrange furniture beyond repositioning existing seating around tables.
- Eat or drink (unless eating or drinking is specifically allowed in an area or at a particular activity).
- Use tobacco or smoke in the library, including the use of electronic cigarettes or vaping devices.
- Sleep in the library or exhibit the appearance of sleep.
- Remain in the library after regular closing hours.
- Interfere with patrons' use of the library through poor bodily hygiene which is so offensive as to constitute a nuisance or through excessive use of perfume, cologne or alcohol.
- Be in any state of inappropriate undress.
- Bring animals into the library except as required by persons with disabilities.
- Use sports equipment, skates or a skateboard in the library.
- Campaign, leaflet, petition, interview or survey patrons or staff in a manner that is disruptive to library activities.
- Willfully expose patrons and staff to offensive images or language.
- Engage in sexual activity of any kind, including inappropriate displays of romantic affection.
- Bring luggage, bedrolls or large bags into the library.
- Leave packages, backpacks or personal belongings unattended. Personal property must be within sight of the owner. The library assumes no responsibility for belongings left unattended. Large or possibly valuable belongings left on the premises after closing will be forwarded to West Des Moines Police.
- Use bathrooms for unreasonable or unintended purposes such as bathing or laundering.
Patrons violating any of the above polices will have the matter called to their attention ONCE. Should the behavior continue, they will be asked to leave immediately. Should they refuse to leave, staff will contact the library director and the West Des Moines Police Department and the patron(s) will be escorted from the premises. A refusal to leave after being asked to leave by staff will be grounds for the patron being banned from the premises.
Weapons policy redacted as per state legislative action - June, 2020.