Use of Library Services
PUBLIC USE OF MEETING ROOMS (COMMUNITY ROOM)
Policy: Non-library events held on Library premises must be open public forums of a civic, cultural, educational or intellectual nature.
- Organizations may be required to provide evidence of their non-profit status in order to use the meeting rooms.
- No admission fees can be charged.
- Meeting rooms may be used only during regularly scheduled hours of Library service. The period allotted for use includes the time required to return the room to proper order. The kitchen area must be clean, the furniture must be returned to its original arrangement and all participants must be out of the room by the scheduled ending time, or a $10.00 late fee will be charged.
- Events must not be commercial in nature, including transacting business or soliciting customers or clients. The Library Regulations on Conduct (City of West Des Moines 7-12-2) govern behavior in the public meeting rooms.
- Groups must comply with posted fire regulations.
- The meeting room must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of the meeting. Users of the room assume full responsibility for damage to Library property in their custody. Cancellations should be made promptly so other meetings may be scheduled.
- Applications will be considered in a "first come, first served" manner. A maximum of three events can be scheduled to occur in any 90-day period. Use of a room on a standing or continuing basis is not allowed.
- The Library will not be responsible for theft or damage of equipment or material supplied by users. This includes personal items.
- If Library audio-visual equipment and materials are to be used in the Community Room, arrangements should be made at the time the room is booked. Users of the room are expected to insure that all equipment functions as expected and according to their needs several days in advance of their scheduled meetings. Library employees are not always available to assist users with utilizing the library’s equipment, and library employees are not to attempt solving problems on equipment belonging to the users.
- Any individual or group who fails to abide by these provisions may be denied future use of meeting space.
- Meeting Room Requests must be made by an adult who is 18 years or older and who will insure adult supervision is provided.
Permission to use a meeting room does not imply that the Library Board, the Library Staff or the City of West Des Moines supports the opinions and/or views of the users.