Computer/Internet/Wi-Fi Use Policy and Procedures
Adopted by Board Action 4/19/2022
The Internet is an unregulated global computer network. The West Des Moines Public Library provides public access to the Internet to augment the community’s educational resources. The West Des Moines Public Library cannot guarantee the accuracy and/or authenticity of information discovered through this resource. Patrons who find information or subject matter that is erroneous, out-of-date, illegal, offensive, and/or controversial should contact the original producer or distributor of that work directly. Library users of the Internet should be aware of the following:
- The West Des Moines Public Library holds the position that only parents and legal guardians have the right – and the responsibility – to monitor and control their own minor children’s access to the Internet and to information obtained from the Internet.
- The West Des Moines Public Library cannot guarantee confidentiality over the Internet. Patrons entering personal information (credit card numbers, social security numbers, etc.) do so at their own risk.
- The West Des Moines Public Library complies with the United States Copyright Law, and all other federal, state and local laws relating to the use of the Internet and other electronic media.
- The West Des Moines Public Library is not responsible for work or information lost due to computer or system malfunction.
Anyone using our Internet service - including via wireless - is subject to the Library's Computer and Internet Use Policy and the Library's Conduct Policy.
Rules and Guidelines for Public Computer Station Use
- Stations are available on a walk-in basis. Time limit on these stations is one (1) hour if another person is waiting.
- Patrons wanting to use the computer stations must sign-in using our Envisionware sign-in system. To sign on to Envisionware, patrons will use their library card numbers and PINs. Staff members will help patrons who do not have or do not recall their PINs. If a patron has forgotten or is not eligible for a library card, the patron may obtain a guest pass. Patrons may not misuse the sign-in process to gain additional periods of usage.
- No more than 2 people may use a computer station at once, except for adults with small children.
- Children 10 years of age or younger must be accompanied by an adult.
- Patrons are expected to be knowledgeable in basic computer operations. Library staff cannot always offer individualized instruction.
- Patrons may download information to their own external drives, while assuming all liability for computer virus or malware exposure that might occur.
- Printing is allowed, currently for 20 cents per page for b/w or 50 cents per page for color printing. Payments for printing will be handled through the Envisionware system, either with staff or via self-service stations. To reduce cost, patrons are encouraged to only print out what they need.
- Regulation of the Public Computer Stations is at the discretion of the library staff.
Wireless Internet Use
The WDM Public Library is pleased to provide wireless (“Wi-Fi”) access for our patrons to our Internet service. If you bring your own laptop computer or other Wi-Fi capable device into the library to use, you will need the following:
- Wireless capability
- Ability to configure laptop to use the library’s public Wi-Fi connection
- Charged battery (many electrical outlets are available, but not in every seating area)
- Audio/Video users should bring headphones. Headphones or earbuds may be available at the Youth Services or Adult Services desks.
- Library staff members generally do not assist customers with their devices or their configuration. Library staff cannot accept the liability for handling non-library equipment.
- Wireless Printing is available through our Envisionware print management system. The service is web-based and can be accessed through the library’s website.