PUBLIC USE OF QUIET STUDY AND MEETING ROOMS
Adopted by Board Action on April 19, 2022
- Quiet Study and Meeting Rooms and the electronic equipment provided within, are available for individual and group study, employee work groups, other work-related, organizational or personal meetings as well as paid tutoring. They may not be used for commercial purposes, including transacting business or soliciting customers or clients, nor for private events of a purely social nature (receptions, parties, showers, etc.).
- The Library Regulations on Conduct (City of West Des Moines City Code 7-12-2) govern behavior in Quiet Study and Meeting Rooms. Users not in compliance with library policies will be asked to leave and may be denied future use of meeting space. The library will not be responsible for theft or damage of equipment or material supplied by users. This includes personal items.
- The library does not publish any Quiet Study or Meeting Room reservation on the public calendar. Organizations may ask the library to post a flier on the community bulletin board if the meeting falls under our Exhibits and Displays Policy.
- Study room descriptions
Study Rooms A and B Quiet Study Rooms with a maximum capacity of two (2) people Study Rooms D, E, and F Quiet Study Rooms with a maximum capacity of four (4) people. Study Room G Quiet Study Room with a maximum capacity of five (5) people. Study Room C Meeting Room with a maximum capacity of eight (8) people. Southwoods Room Meeting Room with a maximum capacity of ten (10) people. Millie Knee Classroom Meeting Room with a maximum capacity of twenty people.
- Quiet Study and Meeting Room reservations for 2 or more people must be made by an adult who is 18 years or older. The contact person listed on the reservation assumes full responsibility for damage to library property in their custody.
- Reservations for rooms B, C, E, F, G and Southwoods Room may be made up to 90 days in advance, with a maximum of 13 reservations from the current date forward 90 days.
- Reservation requests for Millie Knee Classroom may be made up to 90 days in advance, with a maximum of three (3) reservations from the current date forward 90 days. Reservation requests for Millie Knee Classroom require approval by staff – requests are typically reviewed within 2 business days.
- Online reservations must be made 12 hours in advance, for those rooms that allow online pre-reservation. Same day and walk-in bookings for rooms A-G, Southwoods Room, and Millie Knee Classroom must be made with Adult Services desk staff.
- Cancellations should be made promptly so other meetings may be scheduled.
- There is a 4-hour time limit for study room use in rooms A-G and Southwoods Room; there is a 6-hour time limit for Millie Knee Classroom. Users may check with Adult Services staff at the end of their time limit to see if their time may be extended. There is no guarantee the time may be extended.
- Quiet Study and Meeting Rooms will be locked at all times. Users will check in at the Adult Services desk for access to study rooms A-G, Southwoods Room and Millie Knee Classroom. A library card or valid ID is needed to use the room and will be exchanged for the room key. The card/ID will be returned when the room key is returned. Single users may use a larger room during times the room is not reserved or already in use, at staff discretion. Smaller groups may be asked to move into smaller rooms to allow a larger group to use one of the larger rooms at discretion of library staff.
- The reservation will be cancelled and made available for others if the person/group does not check in within 15 minutes of the reservation start time.
- Covered drinks and pre-packaged/wrapped snacks for individual consumption are allowed in Quiet Study and Meeting Rooms. Hot food or fast-food takeout meals are only allowed in Millie Knee Classroom and the Library Living Room.