Use of Library Services
PUBLIC USE OF STUDY ROOMS
Revised by Board Action on December 17, 2019
- Study rooms are available for individual and group study. They may not be used for commercial purposes, including transacting business or soliciting customers or clients, but may be used for employee work groups or other work-related meetings.
- The Library Regulations on Conduct (City of West Des Moines 7-12-2) govern behavior in all study rooms. Users not in compliance with this policy will be asked to leave. Study room users are responsible for any damages to rooms and property while assigned to them.
- Rooms will be locked at all times. Users will check in at the Reference Desk for access to study rooms A-G, the Southwoods Room, and the Millie Knee Classroom; users of the Pond View Room on the first floor will check in at the Circulation/Information Desk. A library card or valid ID is needed to use the room,and will be exchanged for the room key. The card/ID will be returned when the key is returned. Single users may use a larger room during times the room is not reserved or already in use, with the exception of the Millie Knee Classroom; a minimum of 8 people are required to use the Millie Knee Classroom.
- Study room descriptions
- 4-Person Study Rooms. Four rooms (Study Rooms D, E, F,and G) are available for public use. Each room has a maximum capacity of four people.
- 2-Person Study Rooms. Two rooms (Study Rooms A, B) are available for public use. Each room has a maximum capacity of two people.
- 8-Person Conference Room. Three rooms (Study Room C, the Southwoods Room, and the Pond View Room) are available for public use. These rooms have a maximum capacity of eight people.
- Millie Knee Classroom. The Millie Knee Classroom has a maximum capacity of twenty people.
- Reservations may be made up to 90 days in advance, with a maximum of 13 reservations, for rooms B, C, E, F,and G, the Southwoods Room, and the Pond View Room.
- Reservations may be made up to 90 days in advance, with a maximum of 3 reservations for the Millie Knee Classroom.
- Online reservations must be made 12 hours in advance. Same day reservations for rooms A-G, the Southwoods Room, and the Classroom must be made by Reference Desk staff. Same day reservations for the Pond View Room must be made by Circulation/Information Desk staff.
- Reservations will be held for fifteen minutes after the beginning of the reservation. The reservation will be cancelled if the person/group does not show up.
- There is a 4-hour time limit for study room use in rooms A-G, the Southwoods Room, and the Pond View Room; there is a 6-hour time limit for the Classroom. Users may check with Reference Desk or Information Desk staff at the end of their time limit to see if their time may be extended.
- Covered drinks are allowed in all study rooms; food is allowed in the Millie Knee Classroom and Pond View Room only.
- All study rooms are available on a walk-in basis if not previously reserved.
- Smaller groups may be required to move into smaller rooms to allow a larger group to use one of the larger rooms.